The Container Throughput Index of the RWI - Leibniz Institute for Economic Research and the Institute of Shipping Economics and Logistics (ISL) has risen further to 116.2 according to the latest quick estimate in July. The revival of world trade can be observed in ever more port regions.
The most important results:
- The Container Throughput Index of the RWI - Leibniz Institute for Economic Research and the Institute of Shipping Economics and Logistics (ISL) increased significantly in July, seasonally adjusted, from (revised) 110.2 to 116.2. This is only slightly below the previous year’s figure.
- The June figure has been revised downwards by 1.3 points compared to the flash estimate.
- The revival of world trade is gaining momentum. Cargo handling in Chinese ports again reached an all-time high. But handling outside China also increased strongly.
- The North Range Index, which gives an indication of economic development in the northern euro zone and in Germany, improved by 6.8 points. This is the strongest monthly increase ever measured.
- The current flash estimate for the container throughput index is based on data from 51 ports, which account for around 74 percent of the handling shown in the index.
- The RWI/ISL Container Throughput Index for August 2020 will be published on 24 September 2020.
Regarding the development of the container throughput index, RWI Chief Economist Torsten Schmidt says: "Container throughput is approaching the level reached before the Corona crisis. The recovery is affecting more and more regions, especially the North Sea ports".
About the RWI / ISL container handling index:
The index includes the data on container transhipment in 91 international ports, which are continuously collected by the ISL as part of its market observation and account for around 60 percent of global container transhipment. Since international trade is mainly handled by sea, container transhipments allow reliable conclusions to be drawn about world trade. Because many ports already report on their activities two weeks after the end of a month, the RWI/ISL Container Handling Index is a reliable early indicator of the development of international trade in processed goods and thus also of global economic activity. Data series for individual ports are available in the ISL Monthly Container Port Monitor